SCUBA DIVERS LEFT BEHIND IN FLORIDA
by Capt. Darrick Lorenzen |
The U.S. Coast Guard said Tuesday that it was investigating RJ Diving Ventures of Miami Florida. The investigation was initiated because the dive operator left behind two tourists while they were scuba diving.
Divers, Paul Kline and Fernando Garcia Puerta were rescued by a private yacht which found them clinging to a fishing buoy in shark infested waters. The Coast Guard got a call that the two people were picked up at sea. There was no medical harm and the yacht went back to port.
RJ Ventures took a group of 30 people, including Kline and Garcia, in a boat to dive in the open ocean. When Kline and Garcia surfaced the boat was gone. “We were in shock”, Kline, 44 told the Miami Herald. “We could have easily died”.
RJ Ventures had no comment.
The two divers said they clung to a fishing buoy and about 6pm they spotted the private yacht as it started to become dark. “We could see the two divers and an inflatable red tube (safety sausage)” said Ele Trichet the yacht’s captain. “We could notice a strong sense of relief” Trichet said. “They had been clinging to the bouy for hours hoping someone would rescue them”.